In the beginning there was... not much

Back in 2016 I had a music blog. A house music blog. It was called The Road to Kerri and it documented my adventure from a music hobbyist to someone a bit more advanced, someone who could have his track played by the mighty Kerri Chandler on his gig here in Finland. The blog was a success and I learned a lot about producing music, but in the end neither the blog nor the new skills I gained helped me to achieve anything of note. I was still an amateur, with amateur level skills. Just a bit better amateur than before. Time wasn't right for me to conquer the world of house music.

But now it is. The time is right. I'm not pro level yet but my skills have increased. I can write music that makes people dance in clubs. I can make them sound half-decent too, production-wise. Now it's the time to take the next step, the giant step, to get my music out there. Away from the 50 Soundcloud plays or a release on a tiny digital only label that sells very close to zero units and towards proper releases.

And that's exactly what this blog is about. Proper releases. I have set myself a goal. In 2019 I will do everything I possibly can to get a release, preferably on vinyl as well,  on a respectable house or techno label. Something that will be played by DJ's around the world, not just by me and some friends who sometimes play my stuff out. That's the goal. That and what it takes to achieve it.

This blog documents that journey. I have to up my production game one or two levels, learn to create music that makes people go "wow" instead of "that's nice". I also have to learn a thing or two about marketing. It's incredibly difficult to get your music heard when you have no real contacts. Labels rarely listen to demos, if they accept them at all.

The blog is a personal one, but hopefully someone else might find it useful as well. The world is full of talented young (or as in my case, not so young anymore) artists who struggle to get heard. If you're one of them, maybe you'll find some solid advice or even just inspiration from this blog.

The game is on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Survey time!

Music is not a game, but it's still a competition